Iranian court accepts appeal against protester’s death sentence


TEHRAN: Iran’s Supreme Court accepted an appeal against the death sentence of a protester accused of damaging public property during an anti-government demonstration and sent the case back for review.

Sahand Noor Mohammadzadeh, 25, was arrested on October 4 and sentenced to death two months later on charges of inciting war against God after allegedly trying to break down a highway fence in Tehran and setting fire to trash cans.

Sahand rejected the charges, saying he was forced to plead guilty and went on hunger strike two weeks ago.

“The Supreme Court has accepted the appeal of Sahand, one of the accused in the recent riots. His case has been sent to the same branch of the Revolutionary Court for review,” judicial news agency Mizan said on Twitter.

Last week, the Supreme Court accepted a death sentence appeal against rapper Saman Seydi Yasin but upheld the same sentence against protester Mohammad Qobadloo.

Iran has executed two people involved in the unrest that erupted last September after the death in custody of an Iranian Kurdish woman, Mahsa Amini, who was arrested by the morality police for violating the dress code for women.

Amnesty International said Iranian authorities were seeking the death penalty for at least 26 others in a bid to intimidate protesters.

Iranian authorities blamed Iran’s foreign enemies and their agents for masterminding the disruption.

“The Supreme Court has accepted the appeal of Sahand, one of the accused in the recent riots. His case has been sent to the same branch of the Revolutionary Court for review,” judicial news agency Mizan said on Twitter.

Last week, the Supreme Court accepted a death sentence appeal against rapper Saman Seydi Yasin but upheld the same sentence against protester Mohammad Qobadloo.-REUTERS





Source link

Disclaimer
Denial of responsibility! newzcentre.com is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected] . The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Marvel releases the “Secret Invasion” trailer Couple believes they had won $360 in lottery, but it was actually $360,000 Inside Out 2 to be released by Disney Upcoming Star Wars movies and TV shows There will never be a recession in this business